Wednesday 31 March 2021

4.3 Create an infographic about your subject

Visual representations of information or data.

I created an infographic to be used in Natural Sciences, in 6th grade for the topic of the digestion using Canva.

Digestive Process by Marta Díaz-Madroñero Ramírez

Critical questions and problems encountered

At first I was overwhelmed by the ammount of templates that were available. I looked twice and I noticed that half of them were premium. However, it was not like other resources where the free version was terrible compared to the premium one, in this case the free ones were very interesting. 

I went ahead, chose a template and started adding my touch to it. I wanted to change the colours and I found out how to do it quickly: there is an option on the left bar called "more", then you click on "styles". There, you can find pre-made colour palettes instead of creating them by yourself, along with fonts.

Everything was too good to be true. Once again, the premium version ruined my ideas: most of the pictures were only available for the premium version. I had to look for the pictures outside Canva, adding them to my infographic giving credit to the authors. I used Flaticon for the pictures, changing the colour to match my infographic. I highly reccomend it, even though I could not save more than 3 for later, you can download as many as you want.



Discoveries
As many tools suggested by our master's degree teacher, I knew Canva but I had never used it before. I supposed it had basic resources, like images and frames. Nevertheless, when I started investigating I found out it has a lot of stickers, charts, lines... 

Moreover, you can add video and audio from your desktop, which is unusual for this type of plattform as they usually allow you to link resources or pay for the premium version.

Uses or connections

It has a lot of potential, specially for education: infographics, videos, lesson plans, bookmarks, schedules, posters... It can also be used as teachers to spread our own resources by using the templates for Facebook or Instagram. Even to create your resume and impress the principal of that amazing school you want to work at!

Martyrating
🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙

Pros: 
  • Easy to use
  • Nice and varied free templates
  • Wide options for customising the elements (colour, size...)
  • Many free elements to use
  • Wide variety of fonts
  • Allows you to insert images, videos and audio
  • Embed content from other apps
Cons: 

  • Many pictures and templates are premium
See you in the next post, 
Bitmoji Image

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post!!! I’ll use it with my students ! 🥰

    ReplyDelete