Monday 8 March 2021

2. Image attribution for a CLIL lesson

 

Boring, right? Yes, but necessary. 

As teachers we are used to create new materials. However, if we use others' images we must respect their authorship, as we would like others to do with ours. That is why we can use this website: https://creativecommons.org/choose/?lang=en to choose the license for our blog and our content by answering a series of easy questions. I already did mine (check the footer). Have you done yours?

Task: 
Our teacher asked us to practice authorship by looking for some images and thinking about how to use them in our CLIL lesson. In my case I chose images to use in Natural Sciences in the topic of the respiratory system. 
I obtained the images from Creative Commons itself, being able to choose the license I needed while searching. This is where I did it: https://search.creativecommons.org/  Under each picture you will find a link to the original picture as well as to the license it has. 


For my didactic unit in sixth grade, I would use this picture to create a worksheet, as I can modify it (it does not have the "no derivatives" logo). I would erase the words and some of the arrows, as there are too many. The idea is that they can fill it in by listening to descriptions made by me. I have chosen it because it is very clear and it will allow students to have a clear image of the respiratory system. 

I would use the second and third picture to create flashcards to explain that our body takes more oxygen when we are tired, compared to when we are relaed to give more oxygen to our limbs. I would add the word "exercising"and "relaxed" below as I can modify them due to the license they have. We would do the actions and see if our breathing has been modified. I have chosen them because the characters are attractive and will call student's attention. Moreover, they will understand the concepts in an easy way. 


"File:Man Out of Breath Cartoon.svg" by VideoPlasty is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0


Lastly, I would use pictures four and five in a Kahoot! about respiratory illnesses, in this case asthma. I believe that apart from teaching how our body works, it is important to know the illnesses we or people close to us may have. 

"Asthma Inhaler" by NIAID is licensed under CC BY 2.0

"Adult Using an Asthma Inhaler" by NIAID is licensed under CC BY 2.0


I hope you liked my post and you found it useful. Take care!



10 comments:

  1. WOW Marta love your post, it's amazing how you control this topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! (⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ ⁄)

      Delete
  2. You nailed it. Very eye-catching, clear explanations and well-structured. Nothing to say except for AMAZING. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW thanks! (✿◠‿◠) You look like a true fan of my blog, I could mention you somewhere... Let's see if I can manage to do it

      Delete
  3. Good job Marta! I like so much your topic :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you could search in the Creative Commons official page. Thanks for sharing it Marta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I found it by chance and it makes it very easy to look for images with specific licenses.

      Delete
  5. Nice post Marta!. I like the way you explain the importance of copyright and authorship. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete